Volume serial ID different in C++ and CLEO

m1zg4rd_PL

Reaction score
Why CLEO snippet return different number than C++ implementation of getting Volume Serial ID?

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>

#include <windows.h>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
	printf("getting volume info");

CHAR szVolumeNameBuffer[12]; //this will have the name of your drive
	DWORD dwVolumeSerialNumber; //this will have the serial number of your drive
	DWORD dwMaximumComponentLength; //this is the max length in between each \ in a path
	DWORD dwFileSystemFlags; //this will return flags about the drive's file system
	CHAR szFileSystemNameBuffer[10]; //this will contain the type of file system (ex: NTFS)

GetVolumeInformationA((LPCSTR)"C:\\", (LPSTR)szVolumeNameBuffer, 12, &dwVolumeSerialNumber, &dwMaximumComponentLength, &dwFileSystemFlags, (LPSTR)szFileSystemNameBuffer, 10);

ofstream myfile;
	myfile.open ("example.txt");
	myfile << dwVolumeSerialNumber;
	myfile.close();

return 0;
}

It return 1217173053

Code:
{$CLEO .cs}
thread "get_serial"
wait 3000

:get_serial
wait 10
if
  0AA2: 1@ = load_library "kernel32.dll"
then
  if
    0AA4: 2@ = get_proc_address "GetVolumeInformationA" library 1@
  then
    0AC7: 0@ = var 0@v offset
    0AA5: call 2@ num_params 8 pop 0 0 0 0 0 0@ 0 0 0
    0AF1: write_int 0@ to_ini_file "CLEO\TESTSERIAL.INI" section "MAIN" key "SERIAL"
  end
end
0AA3: free_library 1@
004E: end_thread

It return -1767286668

What is the difference in that numbers? Integer variable is out of range?

EDIT: Ok, It's out of range error, Integer bigger than 2147483647 changes to -2147483648 + value that is out of range, so the real number readed by CLEO is 2527680628, but still it's not equal to value from C++ program (1217173053)  :table_flip:

EDIT2: On the other computer, the problem don't appear, value readed by program is equal to value from cs file: 1991520658, because It's smaller than range limit: 2147483647.

T3KTONIT

Reaction score
Hmmm i don't think calling functions using CLEO is fully functional.

maybe the calling conventions are messed up, try calling another function that is not a WINAPI(_stdcall) function. and see if it returns the right value..

PS: i have never used the call opcode in cleo but... did you even pass it the parameters???

0x_

Wtf I'm not new....
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
m1zg4rd link said:
[quote author=T3K link=topic=8405.msg48518#msg48518 date=1405660603]
Hmmm i don't think calling functions using CLEO is fully functional.

This snippet in CLEO is from Opcode.ExE http://ugbase.eu/snippets/get-users-serial-id/ so it should work properly.
[/quote]
For him it didnt work properly either, it has something todo with the return of some Computers (since the digits can be longer or shorter).
Also on C++ you call GetVolumeInformation on C:, on this MSDN says following:
A pointer to a string that contains the root directory of the volume to be described.
If this parameter is NULL, the root of the current directory is used. A trailing backslash is required. For example, you specify \\MyServer\MyShare as "\\MyServer\MyShare\", or the C drive as "C:\".

(what should not matter for the moment).
Also, I dont know how CLEO allocates the memory did you tried to allocate the memory manually and writing to it?

m1zg4rd_PL

Reaction score
0x688 link said:
If this parameter is NULL, the root of the current directory is used. A trailing backslash is required. For example, you specify \\MyServer\MyShare as "\\MyServer\MyShare\", or the C drive as "C:\".[/b]

I changed last parameter (I know in C++ drive letter is first parameter, but in CLEO they are reversed) to drive letter like this:

Code:
0AA5: call 2@ num_params 8 pop 0 0 0 0 0 0@ 0 0 "C:"

Script now returns 49960876.

0x_

Wtf I'm not new....
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Still not the return you want?
If not, then try to manually allocate memory could be some cleo limit