Legal/Illegal? ~ Explained?

TheZeRots

Expert
Reaction score
I've seen people with such concerns. There are many with such concerns. Here I'd like to discuss what may be legal or illegal here.

This forum, and so this community, is not illegal. Being a member of it does not make you an offender or criminal of any sort.

"Gamehacking" is indeed legal. It is basically modifying a game. Modifying SA-MP is legal as well, SA-MP is just a Grand Theft Auto San Andreas modification.

RakSAMP, CLEO, S0beit, Mod_sa, S0nicTz, Trollbeit; every single one of those modifications is absolutely legal.

However, some things are NOT legal:

Sharing publicly original software files and parts (of GTA San Andreas as product) comes under piracy.

Breaking into server databases is a crime as well.

Anything else? Open for discussion.

0x_

Wtf I'm not new....
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
S0nicTz, Trollbeit
Those are not legal, they contain a embedded version of the samp.dll that gets loaded into memory on start.
So, there are many reasons why something is not legal.
Everything can contain embedded data that you're not allowed to share.
Also you need to know the laws of the following country.

TheZeRots

Expert
Reaction score
[quote author="TheZeRots"]S0nicTz, Trollbeit
Those are not legal, they contain a embedded version of the samp.dll that gets loaded into memory on start.
So, there are many reasons why something is not legal.
Everything can contain embedded data that you're not allowed to share.
Also you need to know the laws of the following country.[/quote]

They are game modifications, they are legal. Modifying a game is not against the law in no country in Europe, and not in US either if I'm correct. You are allowed to modify your own game files; that is how game mod(ification)s are created; that's how SA-MP itself was created.

0x_

Wtf I'm not new....
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They are game modifications, they are legal. Modifying a game is not against the law in no country in Europe, and not in US either if I'm correct. You are allowed to modify your own game files; that is how game mod(ification)s are created; that's how SA-MP itself was created.

That does not change anything, because they contain at the current status the samp.dll and we have no rights to ship the samp.dll with our files using it (accessing memory yes..) but not embedding it and sending it everyone.

.silent

Reaction score
But SAMP and many other things are licenced, and modifying its files and sharing them is not legal.

Well, same as sharing S0beit or RakSAMP without the source ^^

TheZeRots

Expert
Reaction score
Sharing files protected under the Terms of Service and User Agreement is illegal, I already stated that.

Modifying them is not. And shipping a modification therefore is not either.

That's the point.

TheZeRots

Expert
Reaction score
SA-MP itself is a hack.
jesus-facepalm.png

SA-MP is a freeware game modification.

0B36

Expert
Reaction score
[quote author="Xterminator"]SA-MP itself is a hack.
jesus-facepalm.png

SA-MP is a freeware game modification.[/quote]

You can concoct as many facepalms as you want pal and may describe in your own wishful words, but sa-mp is nothing more than a "hack" which makes multiplayer mode possible, even though R* never made it that way or intended it to be. So yeah, it's a "hack".

http://forum.sa-mp.com/showpost.php?p=2 ... stcount=68

TheZeRots

Expert
Reaction score
SA-MP = Mod - Game modification.

Just like Fallout 3 Multiplayer Mod is a modification, just like DayZ Mod is ArmA II modification, just like No More Room In Hell and Zombie Panic: Source are Half-Life 2 modifications.

If you think game modification = a hack; then let it be. But there is a reason why for some objects and subjects of interest we use term "hack" and for others "mod".

Zin

Expert
Reaction score
how is samp a hack seriously you are not hacking anything its just a modification which allows you to connect to servers with other people.

0B36

Expert
Reaction score
how is samp a hack seriously you are not hacking anything its just a modification which allows you to connect to servers with other people.

The word hack possesses multiple definitions in English and not just the one you obviously know.

One of those few is this - "A piece of computer code or a program that performs some function, esp. an unofficial alternative or addition to a commercial program."

SA-MP perfectly fits that definition, hence it's a hack. Ofcourse it's a freeware modification too, I never denied that, but it's a hack first.

TheZeRots

Expert
Reaction score
[quote author="zin"]how is samp a hack seriously you are not hacking anything its just a modification which allows you to connect to servers with other people.

The word hack possesses multiple definitions in English and not just the one you obviously know.

One of those few is this - "A piece of computer code or a program that performs some function, esp. an unofficial alternative or addition to a commercial program."

SA-MP perfectly fits that definition, hence it's a hack. Ofcourse it's a freeware modification too, I never denied that, but it's a hack first.[/quote]

Actually that's not one of the definitions for a hack, not a full definition. It is primarily a modification, as developers themselves stated that.

Don't argue against the sun.

0B36

Expert
Reaction score
[quote author="Xterminator"][quote author="zin"]how is samp a hack seriously you are not hacking anything its just a modification which allows you to connect to servers with other people.

SA-MP perfectly fits that definition, hence it's a hack. Ofcourse it's a freeware modification too, I never denied that, but it's a hack first.[/quote]

Actually that's not one of the definitions for a hack, not a full definition. It is primarily a modification, as developers themselves stated that.

Don't argue against the sun.[/quote]

Argue and disagree all you want, but don bother justifying and arguing against Google, kid. Lastly, it's complete, you really need some lessons in English if you feel otherwise, son. Developers will state whatever they want the kids to hear that doesn't make that true, period.

be75200c0a17b8c73b8be9fd893f961b.png

Zin

Expert
Reaction score
yeah but when you install samp you agree to the terms so basically you are authorizing samp to do what it needs to do. its just a game modification just that some people like to make "mods"sound "pro" by calling them "hacks"

TheZeRots

Expert
Reaction score
Argue and disagree all you want, but don bother justifying and arguing against Google, kid. Lastly, it's complete, you really need some lessons in English if you feel otherwise, son. Developers will state whatever they want the kids to hear that doesn't make that true, period.

be75200c0a17b8c73b8be9fd893f961b.png

Oh my God... the irony and the stupidity, paraphrase it "Google is always right, internet is never wrong"... And, then, calling people who, unlike you, narcisoid degeneration, have jobs. Calling others "kids" just proves that you are a little pissed off teenager lacking arguments. Not welcome here. So implying that developers are wrong about their own product and internet is always right. And then says "period" right before an actual grammatical period, that's really competent! Neither am I a kid, neither am I your son. Cool your tits, and come back when you stop being narcisoid, prepotent, selfcentered, condescending.

Now, cut it.

Daruk

Reaction score
RakSAMP, CLEO, S0beit, Mod_sa, S0nicTz, Trollbeit; every single one of those modifications is absolutely legal.
No!

A few examples:
most RakSAMP include OnPlayerDeath spam:
which is by definition: Application based DoS attack -> Illegal

same with S0nicTz & Trollbeit
all the Functions to cause lag, or spamming callbacks -> Application based DoS attack -> illegal

You can't simply say that all gamehacking tools are legal... most include some illegal application based DoS attacks :meh: :meh::meh:

TheZeRots

Expert
Reaction score
No!

A few examples:
most RakSAMP include OnPlayerDeath spam:
which is by definition: Application based DoS attack -> Illegal

same with S0nicTz & Trollbeit
all the Functions to cause lag, or spamming callbacks -> Application based DoS attack -> illegal

You can't simply say that all gamehacking tools are legal... most include some illegal application based DoS attacks :meh: :meh::meh:
No.

They are game and mod modifications, they are legal. There is no such thing as "DoS tool" anywhere, to DoS something you basically send crapload of packages. So there is nothing to be illegal anywhere. They modify the content, they do not harm the server, the game does; they spawn bots, bots can bring server down, but bots are a modification for a game, or a mod, SA-MP being one. I explained everything already.

What you are just saying is; SA-MP is illegal too, it can crash my PC. But thst's not its purpose.

Daruk

Reaction score
LOL what ?

there is absolutly no law difference if you host a web or sa-mp server

Overloading apache web servers = Application Based DoS attack = Illegal
Overloading SA-MP servers (OnPlayerDeath spam or whatever) = Application Based DoS attack = Illegal

you just can't acceppt the truth......no matter what service (sa-mp servers, webservers, ftp servers, whatever) you overload on intention is an application based DoS attack :xD: :xD::xD:

Or would you say: DoS is illegal BUT NOT FOR GAMESERVERS... just because its a gamemodified cheat it doesnt mean its allowed to DoS anything

TheZeRots

Expert
Reaction score
You're either too impotent to read, or too young to understand.

There is no tool in S0beit (any of its version) for bringing a server down. There are only client modifications which are flawed in SA-MP server system, may cause them to lag or go down. Bots are not a DoS tool.